Re: Why burnfree is off by default?

"ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es" <ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es> writes:

> Could you set burnfree on by default or give a competent reason to turn
> off burnfree?

"Burn-proof", "Burnfree", "Just Link", "Seamless Link" or however the
vendor of the day call their technique to interrupt a streaming write
and pick up later where they left off always trash a few bits, it's not
a perfect seamless link - the LASER needs to be switched from reading
power to writing power, the exact position needs to be used, and this
isn't trivial.

If I recall correctly, the first generation of these techniques could
"cost" near 50 bits, later ones 14 bits, I'm not sure how many bits are
trashed by current implementations. "bit" here refers to either pit or
land as the actual physical smallest bit of information.

While the various coding layers of forward error correction codes can
fix some broken bits, this also means that you are already using
correcting capability for the "link", and this capability is no longer
available (already used up) to compensate for scratches, air bubbles in
the polycarbonate, aging material or just a random error.

For this reason it's best to not use these link capabilities but write a
continuous stream. I presume that might have been a reason to leave this
feature off by default. Reducing write speed is often a better
alternative, and you have a -dummy mode...

--
Matthias Andree