Re: Cdrecord!

Joerg Schilling wrote:

>>>If you like use cdrecord, you need to create a correct set of /dev/* entries
>>>on your machine. If it appears that a specific new implementaions will stay for
>>>more than 2 years, I will have a look at it and start adding support.
>>>

>I don't understand. Are there problems with cdrecord & Linux that are related
>to udev?

I think there's this problem with 'cdrecord -scanbus' that's described
in the original post.
Calling 'cdrecord -scanbus' I get:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.14-gentoo-r2
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Looks like cdrecord aborts because there is no /dev/pg* device node
available. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In my default setup I do not have any pg*, sd* or sg* devices in /dev.
That's intended by udev because devices that aren't present should not
be in /dev.

So I see two possibilities to work around this problem:
1. I know I have to use ATA, so I call 'cdrecord dev=ATA ...'. This is
what I do and probably k3b does.
2. Some distros seem to create fake entries in /dev. Gentoo for example
offers a mechanism to save and restore device nodes in /dev at shutdown
and startup, but that seems really dirty to me.

Rüdiger