Re: cdrecord doesn't appear to support high speed media (4x-12x)

On Sunday 05 June 2005 10:40 pm, Rob Bogus wrote:
> Steven Friedrich wrote:
> >I'm running FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE and I have a Toshiba SD-R5002 (DVD-RW)
> >but I'm using it to create a CD.  High speed media, i.e., Memorex 4x-12x
> >doesn't generate any error messages until I try to mount it.  Memorex
> > 1x-4x media works fine.  I even tried speed=4 with cdrecord when using
> > the high speed media, but it fails in same fashion.
>
> Since I burn 40x all the time using Linux and cdrecord, I think you look
> in the wrong place for the problem. In the order I think most likely:
>  1 - drive firmware
>  2 - media
>  3 - BSD not configured properly for the operation
> and only then
>  4 - some obscure cdrecord bug which doesn't hit Linux and Solaris users
>
> >Under FreeBSD ports, the description for cdrecord gives this web site:
> >http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/privat
> >e/cdrecord.html but it's no longer there.
>
> I would like to hear more about that...
I don't know what you mean.  Did you try to go to this web site?  Was it
there?

Do you use any special options to cdrecord?

How could the drive's firmware be to blame if I burn on this same drive and
media with winXP/Roxio?

I use this same media and drive and using winXP/Roxio burn freeBSD 4.11 ISOs
and boot off them.

I'm doing this all on a 2.4GHz pentium, so I can't imagine it's a buffer
underrun, if winXP doesn't underrun the buffer.

When you burn at 40x, is that CD-R media?
I'm using Memorex CD-RW 4x-12x.  I also have one piece of Memorex 1x-4x CD-RW
media, which DOES work.  I tried to burn the 4x-12x media at 4x speed (which
is the speed used to successfully burn the 1x-4x media) but it still failed.
I don't believe it's a buffer underrun due to this.  I think there's
something about the 4x-12x media that cdrecord is unaware of.

If someone has burned a Memorex High Speed (4x-12x) in a drive marked as high
speed (this is an actual official designation, and it's not the same as ultra
speed drives), I'd like to hear about it.

--
i386 FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE
There are 10 types of people in this world. Ones that understand binary and