hand-crafting TOC files

Hi,

I am trying to create a CD which, when played with software on my
computer (or on CD_TEXT-aware standalone players), will contain relevant
track info for display.

So far I have wasted several hours on this, and I'm not even sure I'm
not operating under a false assumption: is this something software
players in debian support?  (I don't actually have a standalone CD
player, or a CD that I know of which includes CD_TEXT data)
I have been trying my results with half a dozen cd players from the
sarge archive (I think by now I've installed all but the KDE ones)

The content is a series of live shows in .wav format, so there is no
option to extract the data from an existing CD, nor are there valid
DISC_ID, etc numbers

Working from a few examples I have found online (mostly [1]) and the
cdrdao man page, I have tried several variations on the following, in
this latest incantation I have added fake DISC_ID & ISRC numbers, using
fake values:

        CD_DA
        CD_TEXT {
                LANGUAGE_MAP {
                        0 : 9
                }
                LANGUAGE 0 {
                        TITLE "$ALBUM_TITLE"
                        PERFORMER "$BAND_NAME"
                        MESSAGE "$COMMENT"
                        DISC_ID "XY12345"
                        UPC_EAN ""
                }
        }

        // --------------------------------------------------------------
        // TRACK LISTING
        // --------------------------------------------------------------
        // 2-sec lead in to 1st track.  No added silence for other tracks

        // Track 1
        TRACK AUDIO
        COPY
        NO PRE_EMPHASIS
        TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
        CD_TEXT {
                LANGUAGE 0 {
                        TITLE "$SONG_TITLE_1"
                        PERFORMER "$BAND_NAME_1"
                        MESSAGE "$COMMENT_1"
                        ISRC "CC-OOO-YY-SSSSS"
                }
        }
        FILE "$FILE_1" 0
        // SILENCE must come after CD_TEXT
        SILENCE 00:02:00

        // Track 2
        TRACK AUDIO
        COPY
        NO PRE_EMPHASIS
        TWO_CHANNEL_AUDIO
        CD_TEXT {
                LANGUAGE 0 {
                        TITLE "$SONG_TITLE_2"
                        PERFORMER "$BAND_NAME_2"
                        MESSAGE "$COMMENT_2"
                        ISRC "CC-OOO-YY-SSSSS"
                }
        }
        FILE "$FILE_2" 0

etc...

The only thing I notice in the working example which I haven't tried is
the SIZE_INFO block, but this seems like a difficult thing to fake, &
anyway the man page says "The data will be automatically (re)created
when the CD-TEXT data is written."

I am getting the feeling I am going about this all wrong.  Are there any
tools to do this kind of thing?  Other methods to achieve the result?
Good docs I've missed?

Thanks for your consideration,
Kenneth

Please cc me on replies, I am not subscribed to this list.

[1] http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac/2003-May/000196.html