Linux kernel 2.6.x Raw device support

Hello All,

When configuring a Linux kernel 2.6.x series to enable the raw device support,
it states this as being obsolete and deprecated.  The suggestion is to use
the O_DIRECT flag when opening the device name.  I can see how this could be
possible from inside an application where the system calls are directly
available to the programmer.

But how can such an option be passed through from the CLI to a program though?

It was also stated that in the next kernel development of 2.7 that raw device
support could be removed.  Now I suppose that might be changed by popular
demand as well.

I routinely use sdd to write directly to DVD+RW media and I use the raw
devices for this operation.  So it is customary for me to use /dev/raw/raw1
for the device interface on the output.  But if I have to use /dev/hdd
instead on the next kernel series then I do not see how I can achieve the
same results.

Perhaps someone here could offer some suggestions.

Thank you for your consideration,
James