Check for existing sessions

(trying this email again as it did not seem to post
yesterday)

Hi everyone,

I am writing a shell script to automate backup to our
DVD+RW, but would like to know if the DVD already
contains a session or not.  Once I determine if a
session exists, I can pass the appropriate burn
commands (see below)

#Initial burn
growisofs -Z /dev/hde -R -J /backup

#Append to disk
growisofs -M /dev/hde -R -J /backup

I tried using "dvd+rw-mediainfo", but it returned the
same results on a multisession DVD as one that I
reformatted using "dvd+rw-format /dev/hde -force".  I
have included results below.

INQUIRY:                [HP      ][DVD Writer 630c
][AH26]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:

 Mounted Media:         1Ah, DVD+RW

 Current Write Speed:   4.0x1385=5540KB/s

 Write Speed #0:        4.0x1385=5540KB/s

 Write Speed #1:        2.4x1385=3324KB/s

GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:

 Write Performance:     4.0x1385=5540KB/s@[0 ->
2295103]
 Speed Descriptor#0:    00/2295103 R@3.5x1385=4787KB/s
W@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#1:    00/2295103 R@3.5x1385=4787KB/s
W@2.4x1385=3324KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:

 Media Book Type:       01h, DVD-ROM book [revision 1]

 Media ID:              RICOHJPN/W11

 Legacy lead-out at:    2295104*2KB=4700372992

READ DISC INFORMATION:

 Disc status:           complete

 Number of Sessions:    1

 State of Last Session: complete

 Number of Tracks:      1

 BG Format Status:      complete

READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:

 Track State:           complete

 Track Start Address:   0*2KB

 Free Blocks:           0*2KB

 Track Size:            2295104*2KB

FABRICATED TOC:

 Track#1  :             17@0

 Track#AA :             17@2295104

 Multi-session Info:    #1@0

READ CAPACITY:          2295104*2048=4700372992

I am not sure where to start looking next...

Thanks a bunch,
Janis