Re: mkisofs -dvd-video won't work

Paul Stravers wrote:

For completeness of the archives, here is the solution of my problem.

Taking Joerg's hint I went straight to his website and downloaded the
original sources, build with -g, and checked what was going on. Turned
out mkisofs is looking for a subdirectory named "VIDEO_TS", and the
obvious solution is to change the command line to:

 % mkisofs -dvd-video -o /dev/null -v -v test_dvd/

Now it works. Here is an idea: add a message complaining about the
missing VIDEO_TS subdirectory. For some reason there are numerous dvd
howto guides on the internet that advice the commandline

 % growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video dvd/VIDEO_TS

which I now found out to be wrong (at least with current versions of
mkisofs).
Note that this doesn't match what you posted in your original post. Don't know if that's significant with mkisofs or not, it certainly is with some applications. Your original post had a trailing / on the command.

I suspect the trick is that the data needs to be in a directory called VIDEO_TS, but I won't get a chance to try until next weekend.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc