Re: Self-written DVD+Rs that cannot be read...

> The first thing one thinks of with these sorts of errors is that the
> machine is having a problem making sure that the buffer is never empty.
> I believe you said earlier that you don't have access to those
> messages?  Is there a way to turn them on, or provoke increased
> verbosity, or increased logging verbosity (or any damn thing that gets
> you more information)?  It's easy to speculate, but some nice, solid
> information is always better than any speculation.

growisofs does not provide much info regarding buffer/fifo fill % like
cdrecord does. Cdrecord has no problems keeping the buffer above 95%
full, so the system does not have some fundamental flaw... I do wish
growisofs could provide more info.

> It might be interesting to try the version limited to 1gig writes, and
> see if the results still match what you observe (errors after about 500 MB).

I'll see how far the write gets with DVD-R media, then post again.

> The common procedure is to have a bootable MS-DOS disk used to change
> firmware, since it can't ordinarily be done in protected mode.  With a
> bootable floppy (or a bootable CD, for that matter, using Syslinux in
> floppy emulation mode) you shouldn't have to physically move the drive.

That's what I had for motherboard and displaycard firmware, and it could
be sent to disk with dd. I will investigate drvupdate.com more, but
first thing I saw was nice screenshots of windows wizard-like
application... if it is simply a windows-wizardlike-dd which is then
followed by a reboot from disk, then maybe it will work in Wine. Or of
course I can borrow another machine. Will investigate, thanks!

Hugo