how to use growisofs to merge (-M) on the fly ?

Hi,
I want to use growisofs to burn a premastered iso boot image, with a rescue system
on it which contains scripts to dump or rebuild the machine to a earlier dumped State.

growisofs -speed=1 -Z /dev/dvd=rescue.iso

the next step is, to dump the disk's or partitions (at the moment to a nfs mounted disk):

dd if=/dev/disk | gzip -9 > /nfs-mount/disk.dd.gz

after this has finished the file is written to th dvd:

growisofs -speed=1 -M -J -R /dev/dvd /nfs-mount/

I'v made several tries to write on the fly (without the file on the nfs-mounted filesystem)
via named pipes but did not hav any succes.

the man page of growisofs contains a sample for initial writing throu a pipe, but this
works only for preformatted (iso) images or parts of a mounted filesystem.

i tried using named pipes but i got only the directory entry of the pipe to dvd:

mkfifo /tmp/pipe.dd.gz
dd -if /dev/disk | gzip -9 > /tmp/pipe.dd.gz &
growisofs -M -J -R /dev/dvd /tmp/pipe.dd.gz
rm /tmp/pipe.dd.gz

any ideas ??

Joachim Braun