Re: Problems with growisofs burned dvd's on others dvd-readers

> i have problems mounting the dvd's burned on my dvd-writer on other
> dvd-readers, but my standalone DVD-Player can read the DVD without any
> problems.

> Jan 18 15:05:40 lxserver kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector
> 7543192
> Jan 18 15:06:00 lxserver kernel: hdc: DSC timeout
> Jan 18 15:06:10 lxserver kernel: hdc: media error (bad sector):

This is a media incompatibility with the DVD blanks and your burner,
and/or the blanks and your dvdrom drive. The burner may be able to read
the burnt disk because it's more tolerant, when the burn is of marginal
quality and barely within or just out of tolerance. Solution: use
different/better blank media.

In general, media/burner compatibility is diabolical when it comes to
DVDs. The situation is not helped by the technology evolving, burner
manufacturers being lazy with firmware upgrades, and blank manufacturers
producing cheap rubbish (in turn because people only buy cheap rubbish).

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.