Track size for the DVD+RW?

Hi,

> I have burned the iso image (4683169792 bytes) on the DVD+RW. (The image was
> already rounded up to the closest 32KB).
> I wanted to verify the result in my DVD-ROM (Toshiba SD-M1802), but I was able
> to read only 4683167744 bytes (exactly the image size - 2048). I tried "dd
> if=/dev/dvdrom bs=2048", "wc -c /dev/dvdrom", "cksum /dev/dvdrom"...
>
> Then I returned this DVD+RW back into my DVD recorder (Teac DV-W516GA) and also
> tried the to "dd if=/dev/dvdrw bs=2048" and "wc -c /dev/dvdrw". This time it
> returned 4700372992 bytes (whole media capacity)...

I have experienced similar effects with LG DVD-ROM and LG DVD-writer.
No missing 2 kB, though.

Depending on DVD reader drive, its device driver, previous usage
of the media, and possibly other parameters, i get a varying number
of surplus bytes when checkreading.

Since you are not the first who reports of a few missing kB
with DVD, i cowardly add 300 kB of padding to any image that i
write to DVD (as i do with CD).

mkisofs usually adds the same padding on its own by option -pad
which is default.
So if your image file on disk and the image on DVD match up
to the last 2 kB, your ISO image payload should be undamaged.