DVD+RL Problem on Solaris/Plextor PX-740A

This expands on an earlier posting now that I have a little more experience. I've burned 5 Memorex DVD+RL's now on Solaris 10/Sparc using a Plextor PX-740A.

First of all I'm surprised it actually works most of the time. Neither Joerg's cdrecord-ProDVD or Sun's cdrw will run when they see the DL media.

Two of my 5 attempts yielded write errors somewhere in the middle. Growisofs reports them similarly to

WRITE@LBA=1d7790h failed with SK=3h/ASC=0Ch/ACQ=00h

with different addresses and register values. Since growisofs is willing to resume from where it left off on subsequent runs (the media was not closed), I retried after reseating the media and got errors at the same spots.

I repeated this with more media from the same Memorex 25 piece container, and it succeeded completely on 3 other pieces. I've verified the data by reading it back successfully on the same drive and others.

Aside from that, I also twice have gotten the anomaly where growsisofs thinks it has successfuly written and closed the disk, only to find that mediainfo and other dvd reading hardware think its still blank.

So does anyone know what's causing the problems? Solaris, media, Plextor, growisofs are all possibilities.

Here is what the "blank" write looked like

7887519744/7909691392 (99.7%) @2.4x, remaining 0:06
7898726400/7909691392 (99.9%) @2.4x, remaining 0:03
builtin_dd: 3862160*2KB out @ average 2.4x1385KBps
/dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s0: flushing cache
/dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s0: closing track
/dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s0: closing disc

followed by:

orac(3,29): dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s0
INQUIRY:                [PLEXTOR ][DVDR   PX-740A  ][1.01]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         2Bh, DVD+R Double Layer
 Current Write Speed:   2.4x1385=3324KB/s
 Write Speed #0:        2.4x1385=3324KB/s
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
 Write Performance:     2.4x1385=3324KB/s@[0 -> 4173823]
 Speed Descriptor#0:    00/4173823 R@4.7x1385=6527KB/s W@2.4x1385=3324KB/s
DVD+R DOUBLE LAYER BOUNDARY INFORMATION:
 L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2086912*2KB, can still be set
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           blank
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: empty