Speed-setting Flakiness

I have an Optorite DD1203 DVD burner in an external USB enclosure. It works fine in Linux using the usb-storage driver, and it behaves as a SCSI burner.

I am trying to write to DVD+R media. Setting the write speed always fails:
marvin# growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=8 -Z /dev/scd0=image1.iso
:-( Failed to change write speed: 0->11080

This occurs whatever number I put after the -speed= argument, although the second number in the error message is changed accordingly (so for speed 2, it says Failed to change write speed: 0->3324). Running growisofs with no -speed= argument works, however.

Now here's where it gets interesting. If I run growisofs with a speed argument, let it fail, and then run with no speed argument, it appears to burn correctly at something close to the speed specified in the initial argument. So if I put speed=4, then run growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/scd0=image1.iso, it burns at an average of 3.7x.

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature or something to yell at the manufacturer about or what. Just thought it was worth reporting.

David