Re: Linux kernel 2.6.x Raw device support

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> Still unhappy with cpio? I usually use "-oB -Hcrc" to get by-file CRC
> checking.
>
> I know about star, but cpio is more likely to be on the other end if I'm
> sending to offsite users.

The cpio archive format (it's rather a group of incompatible formats)
has been deprecated since December 2001. This has been done because it
is not cleanly possible to create upgraded format versions for cpio.
So why do you like to use a deprecated archive format?

If you are using GNU cpio, you are in addition limited by the implementation
bugs. Most cpio implemtations (including GNU cpio) choke in case you have
hard links included in the archive.

The more hard links you include on the archive, the higher is the probability
that you will end up with funny unrelated files being linked together after
a restore did take place.

Even with a cpio archive format implementation that is as correct as possible,
you will not be able to have more then 65k different hard links in the archive
and with 65k of different hard links, GNU cpio will create a 100% probability
for linking unrelated files together.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)
       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/