Re: unable to read some of a DVD contents

>I just had to trash a previously used DVD-RW which failed to pass the checksum test with errors at the very start of the image.
>After a test re-write it failed to deliver the last 2 MB (but the start of the test image was ok).
>A third re-write yielded missing 300 MB at the end of the media. The fourth try failed with :-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=03h]:
>Input/output error According to keys.txt : 3 73 03 POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR (Not much idea what that means but it looks ugly and fatal)
>I successfully tested another DVD-RW from the same spindle as the ill one. So the burner is not to blame.
>It is not about the manufacturer of the media, not even about the particular lot. It is not about the number of re-uses.
>The sucessfull DVD-RW is in heavy test use, has a nice collection of scratches ... and it works fine. The ill one had its third or fourth re-use, looks shiny and smooth ...
As you mentioned, neither the burner nor the media is the one to blame so what is the thing that causes the test checksum to fail?
Does that cause by the "on-the-fly" burn using growisofs?

Thanks,
Kadir

This email contains confidential information. If you have received this
email in error, please delete it immediately, and inform us of the mistake
by return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of
this email is strictly prohibited.
Also, note that the opinions expressed in this email are those of the
author and are not necessarily those of the Fonterra Co-operative Group
Limited.
http://www.fonterra.com/