Re: plextor PX-716A: OPC error, COMMAND SEQUENCE ERROR [growisofs]

Giulio Orsero <giulioo@gmail.com> wrote:

> A summary of my tests:
>
> ===== 1) I couldn't make dvd+rw-tools work with the 1x DVD-RW media I got.
> dvd+rw-format [-blank[=full]]-> SK=5h/ASC=27h/ACQ=00h
> growisofs -> SK=5h/ASC=2Ch/ACQ=00hù
>
> I think this has to do with blanking since I got the same error with
> cdrecord if I try to use a DVD-RW without blanking:
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 2C 00 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x2C Qual 0x00 (command sequence error) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)

Correct, if you don't blank, the drive does not like the command.

> ===== 2) cdrecord-prodvd-2.01.01-i686-pc-linux-gnu
> It works with both DVD-RW and DVD+RW media.
>

> ===== 3) cdrecord-2.01.1-5 (rhel4 recompiled on rhel3)
> It works with both DVD-RW and DVD+RW media.
> It reports confusing messages about BURN-Free (I always use
> driveropts=burnfree)

It is known that the "dvd" patch trhey use is broken and unsupported
by the provider of the patch. I did never see any useful reaction
on error reports....

> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
> Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
> Supported modes: PACKET SAO
> Drive buf size : 6291456 = 6144 KB
> Drive DMA Speed: 3748 kB/s 21x CD 2x DVD
> FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
> Track 01: data     1 MB
> Total size:        1 MB (00:11.58) = 869 sectors
> Lout start:        2 MB (00:13/44) = 869 sectors
> Current Secsize: 2048
>   ATIP start of lead in:  -150 (00:00/00)
> Disk type:    unknown dye (reserved id code)
> Manuf. index: -1
> Manufacturer: unknown (not in table)
> cdrecord: Cannot get disk type.              <=========

This is not cdrecord, so there is no support from me and the
source of the patches never gave any suppot.

> ===== 5) linux issues
> As usually, linux will sometime spit weird messages to the system log
> without much details.
> kernel: sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST
> This happened sometimes during dvd+rw-mediainfo (if run after cdrecord
> -eject, cdrecord -atip), sometimes during other cdrecord commands.
>
> To make user happy linux won't tell you what the problem/ioctl actually is,
> however adding debug it seems to me the ioctl is always "Read TOC" so I
> edited drivers/scsi/sr_ioctl.c changed
>       if (!quiet)
>          printk(KERN_ERR "sr%d: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL "
> into
>      if (!quiet && sr_cmd[0] != 0x43)
>     printk(KERN_ERR "sr%d: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL "
>
> If you know "Read TOC" is really important please tell me.

If Linux prints kernel messages for failing Generic SCSI commands,
Linux is broken and needs to be fixed.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)
       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/