Adding DVD-Audio support to mkisofs

Hi,

I'm developing a DVD-Audio authoring application and have now reached
the stage of needing to add DVD-Audio support to mkisofs.

My project is at http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net and a working
DVD-Audio authoring application is available via CVS.

The above site also contains what I believe is the only detailed public
information on the formats of the files in the AUDIO_TS directory.  That
documentation is still a work in progress, but it contains enough
information to enable DVD-Audio support to be added to mkisofs.

Looking at the source for mkisofs, there appears to be some initial
support for DVD-Audio (i.e. correctly sorting the files in the AUDIO_TS
directory), but this appears to be incomplete (it doesn't take account
of all the AUDIO_TS files such as AUDIO_PP.IFO or AUDIO_SV.IFO) and also
only works when the -dvd-video option is enabled.

The main problem is that -dvd-video fails with an error when the
VIDEO_TS directory is empty (as is the case on a pure DVD-Audio disc).

The UDF requirements for DVD-Audio appear to be very similar to those
for DVD-Video  The various IFO files in the AUDIO_TS directory
contain both relative and absolute sector pointers which need to
correspond with the output of mkisofs if the DVD-Audio is to be playable
on hardware players.

I've described the UDF requirements in more detail, along with example
"isoinfo -l" outputs at http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/spec/udf.shtml

My proposal would be to extend the -dvd-video option to properly deal
with the contents of the AUDIO_TS directory, and also deal with the case
of the VIDEO_TS directory being empty.

The DVD-Audio and DVD-Video specifications are very closely linked, and
the specs allow a so-called "Univeral" DVD-A/V disc that contains linked
AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS "zones".  So even though the name -dvd-video isn't
appropriate, I think it would be cleaner to handle both DVD-A and DVD-V
via a single option, rather than adding a seperate -dvd-audio option.

At the moment I am concentrating on the creation of the files in the
AUDIO_TS directory, and am able to create hardware-playable DVD-Audio
discs with my application and mkisofs by using the -sort option to
mkisofs and manipulating the sector pointers generated by my authoring
program to match the output of mksiofs.

I would be very happy if someone volunteered to add DVD-Audio support to
mkisofs, and I am happy to answer any questions.  Otherwise, I will look
into adding it myself when my authoring application is more developed.

Regards,

Dave.