Re: Self-written DVD+Rs that cannot be read...

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 11:48:37PM -0700, Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
> Did you answer my previous question about whether the drive supports
> DVD+R and DVD-R, or just one of the two?

The drive is definately supposed to support "everything". DVD+R and
DVD-R...

To answer all your questions: The drive is a BTC DVD±R/RW 16x Writer,
says the box. Using Debian GNU/Linux, sid/unstable. I can read most of
the data from the DVD+R on the writer. My normal DVD-ROM drive struggles
with the DVD+R - think it *might* be more capable of DVD-R? I am writing
DVDs with photos for other people to read in their DVD-ROM drives, this
stuff needs to be "compatible"...

I know other people struggle with the DVDs in Windows. I have heard that
some can read most of the photos, but not all of them, sounds like the
writing process failed somewhere. I've had other reports of "does not
work", this might be the same, or might be that their drives cannot read
the DVD+R's at all, who knows.

I could try scsi emulation (I've tried using that to try dvdrecord -
dvdrecord failed with some scsi error...), I am thinking that software
is not the problem though. The drive is writing, if I write only 500MB
to the DVD, I'll probably have more than 80% of them being successfully
written and then read. (This is a guess based on where the thing starts
failing when reading.)

I will let you know how other media works out for me. Firmware problem
due to the drive not obeying -speed=1? Do I then need to take the drive
to a windows machine in order to do the firmware update? Bothersome.
Suppose it needs to be done.

Thanks a lot,
Hugo