Re: COMMAND SEQUENCE ERROR when reading from pipe or stdin

On Sunday 20 February 2005 21:18, Mitch Davis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use growisofs to write data to a
> blanked DVD-RW.  If I point growisofs at an image
> file, everything works properly.  But if I pipe in
> the image file via stdin or a named pipe, the
> write fails with the message "COMMAND SEQUENCE ERROR".
>
> (Ultimately I want the data to be streamed from a
> backup program, not from a file)

I have never tried to pipe into growisofs before so I cannot help with that
but perhaps an alternative to consider.

I use the program sdd to write directly to the drive.  I have used this
method a great deal under kernel 2.4 with a kernel patch.  But I have only
tested my own system at this point on 2.6.10 and no kernel patch.

 /bin/tar -cz some_files  | /usr/local/bin/sdd of=/dev/raw/raw1 obs=32k

Please note that it uses the raw device and sets the output buffer size to
32k.  The raw device needs to bound the drive to be used like this:

raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/dvd_drive_to_use

Under 2.6 kernel with udev running I also have to do these commands first
to create the raw device to bind.  Then follow with the command above. You
probably do not need these if not using udev.  But you can check your
system to see if they are present.

mkdir /dev/raw
mknod /dev/raw/raw1 c 162 1
raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/dvd_drive_to_use