Re: Writing to DVD

Hi,

> > [We were discussing the fact that DVD+RW can be used like DVD-RAM
> >  on Lee's system ]
> > me :
> > I am thoroughly astonished. ... and pondering wether i should try
> > this too ... (I'm reluctant to do strange things with my system)

> Lee :
> I'm quite curious to know how and why this works aswell.

My current theory is that parts of package udftools
are installed and enabled (namely pktsetup).

Therefore i uphold my previous question wether CD-RW writing
does work the same astounding way as DVD+RW does.

>  > Does anybody know what makes it work ? It looks like Andy's kernel
>  > patch described on the dvd+rw-tools homepage
>  > http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
>  > <http://fy.chalmers.se/%7Eappro/linux/DVD+RW/>
>
> I tried applying this patch to my kernel, and it completely killed DVD
> writing altogether.
> [...]
> As a result I now have several DVD+RWs that the DVD writer refuses to
> recognise. When inserting them the drive's access light illuminates
> continuously,
> and I am unable to access the device. Any ideas on how I can erase
> these discs so I can continue my experimentation?

It is not unwise to be an IT coward like me.

Well, if your drive goes on strike before you start
any software to access the DVD+RW, then either the
media, the drive or the operating system must be
damaged.

I presume that you went back to your previous kernel
configuration.

Next i would try to disable packet writing (assumed
that it is enabled). That would be probably
  pktsetup -d /dev/pktcdvd0
I guess this after reading :
  http://cip.physik.uni-freiburg.de/cgi-bin/dwww?type=man&location=/usr/share/man/man1/pktsetup.1.gz
  http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Packet_Writing_on_CD-RW

If that doesn't help i would try to get access to
a different DVD writer (on a different computer with
a different OS).

As soon as the media does not block the drive any more,
i would try various format commands like
  dvd+rw-format -force /dev/...
  cdrecord-ProDVD dev=... blank=all
and (not tested yet)
  cdrwtool -d /dev/... -b full