Re: Speed problems with PX-716A

Zeb <zeb@zebulon.org.uk> wrote:

> >The inofficial DVD patch for cdrecord is known to break cdrecord so I would
> >not call it free, except "free of benefit".
> >

> Listen, I don't want to make a debate about what is free or not. I meant
> Free (with a capital F), as Free-software, not as free beer. I am enough
> aware of what is open-source and free software.

Please do not start a useless flame war in this list!

> You wrote this list was not for support of other versions than the
> ProDVD product. This is false, this list is a Debian list for CD writing
> in general, that is used by you, as the cdrecord author, but also by
> others (dvd+rw-tools, growisofs).

WRONG

READ READ READ

Nobody did ever give support for bastardized cdrecord versions.
This has nothing to do with cdrecord-ProDVD but with the fact that
the makers of the bastardized patches do not even care if the patch
works at all :-(

> So if I can bring any help for cdrecord, either the Free version, either
> your ProDVD proprietary version, I would be glad and everybody will
> benefit. But please don't try to be misleading.

If you have problem NAME them, I am sorry but I cannot help you if you do not
tell me what your problem is.

> >1) cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu is outdated
> >

> Fair enough, but I followed the link that is on your own webpage:
> http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html
> wich directs to:
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord
>
> I cannot find any later version. Please provide a link so that I could
> try it.

I am sorry but you need at least to be able to deal with a simple FTP download.....

> >2) Do you have a problem that you did not send in your mail?
> >   cdrecord definitely will not print the same as you did mail.....
> >

> With the cdrecord-prodvd I downloaded here:
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> I get this exact output:
>
> ./cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu driveropts=help -checkdrive
> dev=ATA:1,0,0
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01b31 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
> Unlocked features:
> Limited  features:
> scsidev: 'ATA:1,0,0'
> devname: 'ATA'
> scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
> Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 0
> Response Format: 1
> Vendor_info    : 'PLEXTOR '
> Identifikation : 'DVDR   PX-716A  '
> Revision       : '1.04'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
> Desktop/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu: This version of
> cdrecord limits DVD-R/DVD-RW support to -dummy or 1 GB real.
> Desktop/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu: If you need full
> DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for cdrecord-ProDVD.
> Desktop/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01b31-i686-pc-linux-gnu: Free test versions
> and free keys for personal use are at
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/
> Driver options:
> burnfree        Prepare writer to use BURN-Free technology
> noburnfree      Disable using BURN-Free technology
>

> Driver options specific to Plextor with a DVD-/+R in the drive do not
> appear.

Again: What is your problem except from the fact that you did not read
the documentation and thus use wrong parameters that result in a
warning?

What driver options do you expect to appear?

Note that you did use the subject "speed problems"......

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling