Re: Strange behaviour of growisofs -Z option

Hi Andy,

> > that i'm trying to reach Jean-Pierre about his growisofs
> > issues (curent state: -use-the-force-luke did help to
> > make -Z work with used "Restricted Overwrite" DVD-RW).
> Oh! Does it mean that you can confirm that it's specific to DVD-RW
> Restricted Overwrite, bit not DVD+RW? A.

I am not sure wether he tested any +RW.
All reported problems were with -RW as it seems.
Here is what he describes as his currently working procedure :

Jean-Pierre Turchi:
> I've fully tested wednesday night, and now I burn using a script which
> 0- defines DEV="/dev/hdc" (for me)
> 1- detects if a support is in the drive else exit;
> 2- retrieves the status of the support using
>      TYPE=$(dvd+rw-mediainfo $DEV | grep -sw "Mounted Media" | awk '{print
> $5}')
>      - if $TYPE = "Sequential" then format using "dvd+rw-format -force $DEV"
> and if OK goto 3
> 3- $TYPE should be "Restricted", here, so I burn using
>      growisofs -use-the-force-luke -dvd-compat -Z $DEV -R -J
> $MY_BIG_FILE.TAR.GZ
> 4- ejects support if everything ran fine.

The non working procedure was quite the same but without
-use-the-force-luke . We considered several other reasons
and are still discussing a miraculous effect - but in short
it looks like this :

Without -use-the-force-luke the option -Z did not work as
expected if the DVD-RW wasn't freshly formatted.
The DVD-RW media were in mode "Restricted Overwrite" as far as
dvd+rw-format and dvd+rw-mediainfo told. (We checked that
because some of his effects reminded me of "Sequential" media.)

His mentioning of possibly encountered "Sequential" media
could indicate that he really had some. He did not explicitely
report that, though. He reported of formatting to "Restricted".

Regrettably i still got no contact to Jean-Pierre.
I myself am not able to reproduce the core features
of his problem. I got DVD-RW, too, but a different drive
than him.
For me the visible effect of -use-the-force-luke is that
the warning "already carries isofs!" is not accompanied by
beeping and waiting. Both variants produce a mountable
DVD with a single file on it.