Re: Backup format to ISO?

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Do you know of any program which will accept tar or cpio format as input
> and generates an ISO-9660 image for burning? I have a large box full of
> 4GB 4mm DAT tapes which should go on DVD, and they are in tar or cpio
> format.

I think something like the following should work to allow you to
directly copy each tape to DVD:

    dd if=/dev/tape \
      | flyisofs mbc=2295104 fbc=350000 \
      | growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=/dev/fd/0

If your archives span across multiple tapes, you might want to use
flyisofs in combination with shunt.  The home page for shunt and
flyisofs is located at the following URL:

    http://www.serice.net/shunt/

Thanks,
Paul Serice