Re: Strange multisession DVD+R behaviour after closing the disc

I have written a multisession data DVD+R with Nero Burning ROM 6.3. Then I haven't added any more session and I have closed the disc with Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD 8 OEM. The content of this disc is accessible without any problem under Windows 2000. Under Linux, when I try to mount the disc with 'mount /dev/writer /mnt/writer/', I get this error:

mount: block device /dev/writer is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/writer,
       or too many mounted file systems

I (obviously) obtain the same error when i try to use it in my dvd-rom. The strangest thing is that I can mount (and then access as usual) this disc with 'mount -oloop /dev/writer /mnt/writer' Have you got any idea about this behaviour?

Well, it all depends on what does "Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD 8 OEM" do when you instruct it to "close the disc." And I assume nobody knows what does it do:-) I can only say that in order to ensure maximum compatibility with DVD-ROM units *and* to keep media mountable under Linux you have to copy volume descriptor from previous (first in your case) and pad the last session till the outer edge. That's essentially what 'growisofs -M /dev/dvd=/dev/zero' does.

Is it possible to make the disc 'normally' (without '-oloop') mountable again?

The disc is in "complete" state, there is nothing you can do, but to remaster new one. -oloop works presumably because by specifying it you effectively bypass multi-sessioning code in kernel. -osession=1 should do the trick as well...

INQUIRY:                [TSSTcorp][CD/DVDW TS-H552B][TS04]
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           complete
 Number of Sessions:    2
 State of Last Session: complete
 Number of Tracks:      2
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           invisible
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            2053344*2KB
 ROM Compatibility LBA: 265696
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#2]:
 Track State:           invisible
 Track Start Address:   2055392*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            4294967232*2KB

Note essentially bogus value in the last Track Size. I would *guess* that Pinnacly simply issues "Finalize disk" command to recorder, without copying volume descriptor or padding the last session. Apparenly Windows is OK with this... A.