blank=all only works in isolation

Seven years, fifteen different computers,
twenty-five different Linux distributions,
multiple types of cd burner (SCSI, IDE,
USB), and every version of cdrecord and
cdrtools I could find (both supplied with
the distribution and compiled by myself).

cdrecord -vv dev=1,0 blank=all /path/to/some.iso

NEVER works. I typically get something like:

Performing OPC...
Blanking entire disk
cdrecord: faio_wait_on_buffer for writer timed out.
Blanking time: 1183.496s
BURN-Free is OFF.
Performing OPC...
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:    3 of  638 MB written (fifo  23%) [buf 100%]
4.2x.cdrecord: faio_wait_on_buffer for reader timed out.
Writing  time:  255.218s
Min drive buffer fill was 100%
cdrecord: fifo had 64 puts and 64 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 1 times empty and 0 times full, min fill
was 0%.

On the other hand, just splitting this
up into two commands:

cdrecord -vv dev=1,0 blank=all