mkisofs -dvd-video: caveat lector

It turns out that mkisofs fails to handle DVD-Video volume if there is/are title set(s) not referenced from one of the structures in VIDEO_TS.IFO, VMG_PTT_SRPT to be specific. One can argue if it's mkisofs bug or corrupt layout, but we'll hardly get anywhere as nobody saw the DVD-Video specifications. The disk is reportedly playable in several set-tops and by software players, yet mkisofs aborts complaining about negative padding for a .BUP file. However! The problem seems to be rather rare and the question is it's rare enough to simply dismiss it. So far we failed to find second such media among ~35 different titles. This is too low to devote an effort into fixing it. Unless somebody can confirm that this is a regular problem, my suggestion is to just dismiss it. If you wish to check a title you can invoke 'mkisofs -v -o /dev/null -print-size -dvd-video ...' Note that you don't have to "rip" the volume and can run the command directly again media mount pount(*). When invoked with -v option mkisofs prints pad values and what you will be looking for are unreasonably high padding values. A.

(*) On Linux you have to make sure video files are in capitals. You can achieve this by explicitly mounting DVDs as UDF and not ISO9660.