Re: 100% system CPU usage with cdrecord

Joerg Schilling wrote:

From: Rob Bogus mail account <rob23@firewall2.tmr.com>

I *strongly* suggest using ide-scsi with 2.4 kernels. You want to boot with something like "hdc=ide-scsi" I believe, that what I use for all my working 2.4 systems. The device will probably be 0.0.0, but do check by looking at /proc/scsi/scsi to be sure.

I have not had any problems with ide-scsi under 2.6 kernels since 2.6.2 or so, but the ATAPI interface is much easier on the CPU for audio burn.

The ATAPI: interface has no DMA at all

The ATA: fixes a DMA bug that should be ficed the same way for ide-scsi.
	It is just annoing to see that the Linux kernel folks first
	copied the code from ide-scsi just to create this unneeded new
	interface and later onlu fixed the bug in the copy but not in the
	original
Thank you for catching this! The original post had ATAPI and I read it as ATA (brain fart). What he said, what I meant, not what I said.

--
E. Robert Bogusta
 It seemed like a good idea at the time