Re: Writing DVDs on Sony DRU-500A

>>>>> "Gregoire" == Gregoire Favre <Gregoire.Favre@freesurf.ch> writes:

 Gregoire> Hello, I use cdrecord-prodvd-2.01a27-i686-pc-linux-gnu with
 Gregoire> this drive and firmware 2.1a and it works perfectly, both
 Gregoire> as ide-scsi (not tested for a long time...) and with ide-cd
 Gregoire> (kernel 2.6.7). I have also good result with growisofs (all
 Gregoire> with -R(W) media, not tried + ones... as the only + media I
 Gregoire> had wasn't recognized by the drive).

I will have to give that kernel a try. The last time I tried to use
ide-cd was with kernel 2.6.5. Since the media I use is only "+" media
that maybe why I only had success with ide-scsi. "+" media was
recognized by the the drive with ide-scsi. I have a whole stack of
"+" media so I need "+" media support from this drive.

Also I need to upgrade the BIOS the current BIOS in my drive is 2.0h.
That means pulling the drive and placing it in a windows machine! I
will never buy another drive that only has windows BIOS updates. That
is crazy. Is there any other way to upgrade the BIOS?

 Gregoire> In growisofs there is a nice tool dvd+rw-mediainfo which
 Gregoire> you could try for learning if your media is recongized or
 Gregoire> not.

With "+" media growisofs is definitely hit or miss. Can't pin this
down. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work.

I have more consistent results with cdrecord.

 Gregoire> Last point : on cheap media don't trust the speed as it may
 Gregoire> result in unreadable media...

Concur with that one.

Two cents worth here. I'm disappointed in this drive, but way to late
to send it back. However, I will definitely buy something else if this
drives breaks.

Later

Alan