growisofs DVD unreadable on ThinkPad

Hi,  newbie user here ...

Trying to copy my RedHat 9 installation DVD:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=rh9dvd.iso
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/scd0=rh9dvd.iso
(using dvd+rw-tools-5.19-1.4.9.7.tar.gz)

growisofs seems to complete properly.  At the beginning, a few lines seem to indicate
"zero" progress, but then it settle into 2.3x speed and continues there until completion.

The resulting DVD IS readable on the source/creation drive, but is unreadable on
my IBM ThinkPad CD/DVD drive (the original RedHat DVD IS readable on the
ThinkPad).  Orginally, I had this problem with a Plextor 708A; thinking the Plextor
might be the problem, I replaced it with a NEC 2500A but have the same problem :)

I am using FujiFilm DVD+R media.  I realize that this may be a media problem,
but I am concerned that I am burning unreadable DVDs without any warning ...
I have some additional DVD+R media on order that should arrive shortly.
I also tried "-speed=1", but growisofs seems to run at 2.3x speed anyway.

My "mediainfo" appears below.  Thanks, Scott. (not subscribed to list)

INQUIRY:                [_NEC    ][DVD_RW ND-2500A ][1.06]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         1Bh, DVD+R
 Media ID:              RICOHJPN/R00
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
 Write Performance:     2.3x1385=3245KB/s@[0 -> 1797888]
 Speed Descriptor#0:    03/1797888 R@2.3x1385=3245KB/s W@2.3x1385=3245KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:       A1h, DVD+R book [revision 1]
 Legacy lead-out at:    1797888*2KB=3682074624
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           complete
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: complete