Re: Fuji Film DVD's don't work with growisofs and sony dru500

 >> Having some problems burning a video DVD+R disk. The information
 >> is below on what happened. Is there anything else I can try before
 >> trying a different brand?

 Andy> Hardly. Given the provided information there is a chance that
 Andy> your unit is broken and you might have to ask for replacement.
 Andy> Point is that ...

I hope that is not broken. Just checked and the warranty ran out 3
months ago :-(.

Anyway I upgraded the firmware. The main reason I don't keep up with
the firmware like I should is I have to pull the drive to install the
firmware. Sony has a firmware updater that only works in windows. Such
is life the next time I purchase a dvd burner hopefully the unit will
have at least a "dos" firmware updater. Anyway with the new update
dvd+rw-mediainfo now gives info on the recorded disk!!!

$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd
INQUIRY:                [SONY    ][DVD RW DRU-500A ][2.0h]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         1Bh, DVD+R
 Media ID:              RICOHJPN/R00
 Current Write Speed:   2.4x1385=3324KB/s
 Write Speed #0:        2.4x1385=3324KB/s
 Write Speed #1:        2.0x1385=2770KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#0:    00/2295103 R@2.4x1385=3324KB/s W@2.4x1385=3324KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#1:    00/2295103 R@2.4x1385=3324KB/s W@2.0x1385=2770KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:       A1h, DVD+R book [revision 1]
 Legacy lead-out at:    2295104*2KB=4700372992
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           appendable
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: incomplete
 "Next" Track:          1
 Number of Tracks:      2
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           complete
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            1959888*2KB
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#2]:
 Track State:           blank
 Track Start Address:   1959904*2KB
 Next Writable Address: 1959904*2KB
 Free Blocks:           335200*2KB
 Track Size:            335200*2KB

The disk works fine with xine now. Correct me if I'm wrong but
according to the above information I need to finalize the disk? What
is the best way to finalize a disk?

Would "growisofs -M /dev/scd0=/dev/zero" be the best way? Could add
additional material to the disk since it is open?

Thanks for the information!

Thanks,

Alan