Re: Automounters - more info wanted (was Re: Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type)

Joerg Schilling wrote:
From: Lourens Veen <lourens@rainbowdesert.net>

NO, if you like to check for a media change you need to access
the TOC.

Thanks, but that's not what I was asking. What I want to know is, if
I were writing a volume management system, and I wanted to make
sure it didn't interfere with a write in progress, is there any way
for it to find out if a disk is being written without disturbing a
write in progress?

NO

Joerg is correct, but it's certainly possible to see if a resource is in use, easily in the kernel and usefully in user space. However, I think the desirable thing is for the burning software to protect its resource rather than depend on other software to be curner aware.

--
E. Robert Bogusta
  It seemed like a good idea at the time