Re: DVD Compatiblity issue

On Friday 30 January 2004 02:59, Andy Polyakov wrote:

> Meaning that you can't reproduce the problem... Well, varying
> results might be indication of poor media support in firmware. I
> would still recommend to try -speed=1 option and maybe even stick
> to it for *this* media brand/batch, just to be on the safe side.

That is correct.  The next burn I was not able to reproduce problem.
Agreed, media issue could be part of the problem.  But I highly
consider the Optorite as dubious here.   I have another drive on
order, ETA Monday.

> > In regard to using different media, it would appear from the
> > media-info reports that DVD-R does not identify the
> > manufacturer. So how can I identify who made it?  Since
> > identification appears to be impossible on DVD-R media this
> > seems to be most impractical.
>
> Don't jump into conclusions:-) You can't really say "DVD-R does
> not identify the manufacturer" based on experience with one unit,
> can you? I mean it most likely your unit which doesn't/fails to
> pull that information from media, not like it's fundamentally
> impossible to identify manufacturer of the DVD-R media. I don't
> know if following holds true even for any DVD-dash capable unit,
> but some DVD+units don't disclose manufacturer ID for blank
> media, in other words you have to record it to be able to pull
> that information.

OK.  My misunderstanding.  Since I was using the same software
to retrieve the information, I was expecting consistent results across
all media and all drives.  I didn't know it was arbitrary on the firmware
what to report.

> > It reported 4.1x recording speed.
>
> You mean growisofs printed 4.1x in the very beginning, right? A.

Yes.  At the very start of the recording.  I also like the info provided by
growisofs when burning an image file.  It actually reports the data
rate as part of the progress report line.  But an average data rate and
total time would be just as beneficial at the end for regular piped
operations.  I can know when I start a recording, but the only way to
know when it finished is to be here at the console watching when it
completes, and then calculate the time manually.  A wrapper script
could also be used to display the date setting when completed.  Until
now it hasn't been an issue.

Sorry to bother you so much.  I was expecting the same reliability and
consistency with this -R/RW platform as I have experienced with the +RW
over the years.  It is apparent that at least with this Optorite drive that is
not going to happen.  The new drive I ordered is a Sony DRU-510A so we
will see how it performs.

Thank you,
James