Re: DVD Compatiblity issue

On Thursday 29 January 2004 07:52, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> The cdrecord README clearly states that you _need_ working DMA
> in order to write DVDs. If you have burnfree ON the drive just
> dramatically slows down.
>
> Jörg

This is the only information that I can determine from my system.
If you would desire more or other please explain.  The chipset and
hdparm settings state that DMA is enabled, and the drive is
connected with a 80 conductor cable as (hdd) the slave on the 2nd
controller.  I provided the timings on the hard disks because hdparm
would not test the HP dvd-writer 300 drive.  The performance of the
hard disk units I think would indicate that DMA is functioning or at
least capable.

root@Merlin:/proc/ide# cat piix

Controller: 0

                                Intel PIIX4 Ultra 100 Chipset.
--------------- Primary Channel ---------------- Secondary Channel -------------
                 enabled                          enabled
--------------- drive0 --------- drive1 -------- drive0 ---------- drive1 ------
DMA enabled:    yes              no              yes               yes
UDMA enabled:   yes              no              yes               yes
UDMA enabled:   5                X               5                 2
UDMA
DMA
PIO
root@Merlin:/proc/ide# hdparm -v /dev/hdd

/dev/hdd:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 BLKRAGET failed: Invalid argument
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
root@Merlin:/proc/ide# hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.40 seconds = 45.71 MB/sec
root@Merlin:/proc/ide# hdparm -t /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.40 seconds = 45.71 MB/sec
root@Merlin:/proc/ide# hdparm -t /dev/hdd

/dev/hdd:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   0 MB in  0.00 seconds =   nan MB/sec
Hmm.. suspicious results: probably not enough free memory for a proper test.
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Input/output error

The errors trying to test the HP 300 drive above was probably because
the drive is assigned a device through the ide-scsi module as /dev/scd0
or sr0 if you prefer, still major 11 minor 0.  But hdparm refuses to test
any SCSI emulation device, except a real hard disk.

My two hard drives are configured for RAID-1 if that might make some
difference on the bus.  I have three other DVD writers but they are
connected through the firewire interface on Oxford 911 bridges.
I do have a hard disk on the firewire and hdparm reports 14 MB/s
when testing that drive.  Oh, my kernel is 2.4.24 with the libata patch
for the SATA controllers.

I was able to get the HP 300 drive to burn at 4x with growisofs using
+R 4x media.  Cdrecord-ProDVD kept dropping the speed to 2x on
the drive for some reason.  I suspect it was because the drive reports
the writing speed at 3.9x instead of 4.0x.  I tried setting the -speed value
to 3.9 but the program complained that it was invalid.  The version was
2.01a24.  It did not report if burnfree was turned on or off during the
startup info using the -v option.  I terminated the program since it was
not going to attempt 4x recording.

I do not know of anything else I can test to verify working DMA or
hardware configuration.

Thank you for your consideration.
James