Re: Automounters - more info wanted (was Re: Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type)

>From lourens@rainbowdesert.net  Tue Jan 27 21:08:37 2004

>Aha, thanks for explaining that. This does pose a bit of a problem
>though if you have both: say I insert a CD, then the volume manager
>sees it and mounts it. Then I go to my magic automounter directory
>and it tries to mount it too. Problem. Doing away with the
>automounter means users have to mount disks by hand (which my mum
>would probably find too complicated), while doing away with the
>volume management means that users get no feedback after they
>inserted a CD in the drive, which is less bad but still undesirable
>from a user interface perspective.

This is a reason why Apple and Sun introduced such a beast on the 1980s

>So how about this. We run a normal automounter. The volume manager
>does not actually mount disks, but just reads the volume label.

This is enough to interrupt the CD writing process in a way that creates
a coaster.

>and leave it be. The DE, now knowing the CD is empty, can launch
>the CD writing application either immediately or when the user
>clicks the drive's icon. If the cut-down volume manager and the
>automounter can communicate (or are the same system), the
>automounter could even refuse to mount the CD when it knows it's an
>empty one, thus preventing unwanted accesses that interfere with
>writing.

It seems that the Sun volume mamager performs a dummy mount for
empty medium and remains quiet until you call "eject cd".

Unfortunately this does not help when you like to write multi session
CDs.

>Well, given the amount and size of the differences between different
>"Linux" distributions, perhaps it's time to start thinking of them
>as different operating systems rather than variations of the same
>one. You could do as many other vendors of proprietary software do
>and only support one or a few distributions explicitly. They may
>still be broken, but at least it makes the job of tracking the
>problems a lot more manageable. After all, Linux is just a kernel.

The big problem with REdHat and SuSE is that they are trying to make
their Linux distribution more and more proprietary (differ from others).

>> >If there's anyone here actually using magicdev or autofs, more
>> >information on how to see if it's running and how to configure
>> > it to stay away from CD writers would be very much appreciated
>>
>> I would be happy, to see people working on contributions...

>Me too, and I volunteer to wrap it all up into a patch to
>README.volmgt and a blurb for the dvd+rw-tools website.

>To reiterate, we still need to know how to disable KDE autorun and
>GNOME magicdev for a single drive.

OK, please do and report your results.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling