Re: AMD64/x86_64 version of cdrecord-ProDVD ???

>From hvisage@envisage.co.za  Fri Jan 23 18:20:10 2004

>> > Is there a x86_64/AMD64 version of cdrecord-ProDVD available somewhere??
>>
>> ****** -> As you see, the 32 bit version works.
>>
>> >cdrecord-ProDVD: Cannot do inquiry for CD/DVD-Recorder.
>> >cdrecord-ProDVD: The unit seems to be hung and needs power cycling.
>>
>> Looks like you have a bug in the driver.
>>
>> Send a bug report to the Linux kernel people.
>>
>> >swartes hvisage # cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 suse90-amd64.iso speed=4
>> >Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a25 (--) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling

>Joerg, thanx for your time, but I'm a bit lost here (perhaps too much
>googling :() could you explain to
>me please (or even better please point me in the right direction) why the
>Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a25 (x86_64) can see the drive, but the cdrecord-ProDVD
>2.01a24 (i686) can't see the unit?

>Are the -clone and the -prodvd using different drivers?

>For the bugreport, what information should I include?

SuSE (the originator of the AMD-64 port) claims that they have _full_ support
for 32 bit programs. When I read this, I of course compare the statement
to the functionality of the of the first UNIX kernel (*) that itself runs in 64 bit
mode and allows to run 32 bit and 64 bit user space applications simultaneously.

*) Solaris 7 in mid 1998

Solaris does this by having two syscall tables. One for the 64 bit programs and
another for the 32 bit programs.

As ioctl()s _also_ provide interfaces that depend on 32 vs. 64 bit (**),
a OS that allows to run 32 bit applications on a 64 bit kernel needs to have
hooks in _every_ ioctl of _every_ driver. These hooks need to convert data
structures, pointers and  data structures loaded via 32 bit ptrs from a 32 bit
program into the 64 bit equivalent of the real 64 bit OS.

**) Linux kernel people tend to forget that ioctl()s heva their own interface
	compatibility issues.....

If Linux does not have these conversion routines to convert from/to 32 bit
ioctl()s in _every_ driver, the OS is just incomplete.

Try to make a related bug report...

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling