Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

> I have a Plextor PX-708UF (USB 2.0) on a Red Hat Linux 9 machine.
>
> cdrecord.prodvd: Input/output error. read disk info: scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB:  51 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 24 00
                                ^^ I don't know if following holds true
for other USB implementations, but Linux USB is very picky about
allocation length. Most notably if you ask for M bytes while only M-N
bytes are available for transfer, the transport fails. I don't know what
is the current status, but it used to "reset bus" in such situation.
Check your logs. In either case the structure returned by CDB in
question is variable length and is 32/0x20 bytes upon media load, which
must be the cause for the trouble.

> I can burn the same iso with growisofs.

USB deficiency mentioned above was addressed in dvd+rw-tools in August
2002.

>  Xcdroast otherwise works

Note that there're GUI front-ends to growisofs too...

> Perhaps this is a firmware issue--

Hardly. A.