Re: [Cdrecord-video] Re: Cdrtools-2.01a25 ready

From: Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
Subject: Re: [Cdrecord-video] Re: Cdrtools-2.01a25 ready
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:41:10 +0100 (CET)

> >From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@gmx.de>
>
> >> -	Try to support the half hearted and badly designed /dev/hd* interface
> >> 	from Linux-2.6 in a more usable way.
> >>
> >> 	The only reason for adding this kind of support is that the Linux kernel
> >> 	hackers reject to fix the known DMA bugs in the already existing SCSI
> >> 	transport interfaces in the Linux kernel. Using /dev/hd* is unfortunately
> >> 	the only way to get DMA with sector size being 2352, 2448 or similar.
> >>
> >> 	Use cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATA and
> >> 	cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0
>
> >Ok, I tried as root on a Linux 2.6.1. the following:
>
> >[root/] :cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATA
> >Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a25 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
> >scsidev: 'ATA'
> >devname: 'ATA'
> >scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> >Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
> >cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open 'ATA'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> >cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
> >cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> >[root] :
>
> >What is this ? Linux buggy ? cdrecord buggy ? Joerg buggy ? Mail buggy ?
>
> I would say: Meino.Cramer@gmx.de is buggy :-(
>
> uname -a
> Linux xxx.fokus.fraunhofer.de 2.6.1-1.126 #1 Fri Jan 9 13:57:05 EST 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> cdrecord/OBJ/athlon-linux-cc/cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus -vv
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a25 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
> scsidev: 'ATA'
> devname: 'ATA'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> Using libscg transport code version 'schily-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.79'
> SCSI buffer size: 32768
> scsibus1:
>         1,0,0   100) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W4824A' '1.01' Removable CD-ROM
>         1,1,0   101) *
>         1,2,0   102) *
>         1,3,0   103) *
>         1,4,0   104) *
>         1,5,0   105) *
>         1,6,0   106) *
>         1,7,0   107) *
>

> You did _not_ run a clean compilation of 2.01a25.
>

> -	Unpack the TAR archive on an empty directory to make sure, that you don't
> 	extract into an old version of cdrtools.
>
> -	Use "smake" for compilation in case GNU make gives problems for you.
> 	(My compilation for the binary above has been done with GNU make).
>
> Jörg
>
> --
>  EMail:joerg@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
>        js@cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
>        schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling

The problem is, that the compilation process done by the makefile
system of cdrecord does not break hard on compilation errors.

The compilation error was in line 69 of ./libscg/scsi-linux-sg.c.
It does a #include <scsi/scsi.h>, which let the source include
/usr/src/linux/include/scsi/scsi.h.

If line 69 of the offending code will be changed to
#include "/usr/include/scsi/scsi.h" the non-kernel header file
will be included and everything works well.

May be a good idea to change the makefile system that way, that it
does break hard on compilation errors and does not lead into half
ready compiled binaries.