Re: growisofs for DVD-R -sort of problem

> ...using growisofs (5.16) with mkisofs 2.0
>
> growisofs -Z /dev/scd0=xyz.iso    fine
> growisofs -M /dev/scd0 abc/def    fine - a few times
>
> - THEN did another growisofs - everything went fine but
>  attempts to access DVD give message 'no media mounted' ?
>
> ---
> If relevant - none of the discs burned were mountable unless
> the kernel was booted with ide-scsi enabled.
> (dd -ing the contents of an ok dvd to hd and mounting it only
> gives access to the initial 'Z' write session - presume normal?)

Yes.

> The full contents are accessible from XP - though the 'dead' disc
> is not seen from XP either.

Clarify this. You've burned serveral multi-session disks. Only one was
rendered "dead," right? What about those "healthy" ones? Were they
unmountable already after -Z without ide-scsi? Or did they become
*unmountable* after first -M and you had to load ide-scsi? In which case
how large were first sessions?

> I note that the man-page comments that not all players can handle
> multi-border playback - but this one seems to.

In this case manual refers to *legacy DVD-ROM players*. You're referring
to a recorder, right? Recorders are perfectly capable of multi-border
playback.

> - failure for 'various reasons' are also referred to. Presume I
> am there - but can I do anything?

"Various reasons" also refers to limitations of OS drivers, e.g. NetBSD
reportedly fails to play multi-session DVD even if unit supports
multi-sessioning...

> ---
> output of 'mediainfo' (straight + verbose) for the dead dvd simply
> says - 'no media mounted' after the drive info...
> and for a part burned - still ok disk is below.
> (But I am nervous about doing any more 'grows' for fear of
> losing the disc.)

The media must have had a defect in lead-in. Media being rendered
un-mountable as result of adding a session is not something which is
meant to happen... I understand the hesitation, but the only way to
figure this out is keep trying.

> [nick@localhost nick]$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/scd0
> INQUIRY:                [TOSHIBA ][DVD-ROM SD-R6112][1031]
> GET PERFORMANCE:
>  Speed Descriptor#0:    00/2298495 Reading@1.0x Writing@1.9x

Only one descriptor? No 1x? Strange... Point is that if it fails again,
it would make sense to record at lower speed, but in order to switch the
speed there have to be more descriptors...

> READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
>  Track Start Address:   0*2KB
>  Track Size:            65264*2KB

Even though it might appear tempting to add data in such small
increments, I would recommend to grow in larger increments. You waste
space on border-ins/-outs.

> READ TRACK INFORMATION[#2]:
>  Track Start Address:   93952*2KB

Follow Track Size values and Track Start Addresses. First session is
130MB and you wasted 60MB... Then number of amount of sessions is not
unlimited. Well, DVD- allows for over 2000 sessions, so that this is not
really relevant...

> FABRICATED TOC:
>  Track#1  :             14@0
>  Track#AA :             14@709136
>  Multi-session Info:    #2@654736

This is strange... Normally FABRICATED TOC for multi-session media
consists of 3 tracks #1, #2 and #AA... A.