Re: cdrtools-2.01a22 ready

On Thu 8 January 2004 16:24, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> From: Lourens Veen <lourens@rainbowdesert.net>
>
> >No, you did not. You said, and I quote (module formatting):
> >
> >"It has _always_ been wrong to compile software only once for
> >different kernel versions (e.g. for compile Linux-2.4 and later
> >install a 2.2 kernel on the so created system).
>
> Why do you repeat this?
>
> The current discussion proves that you cannot expect more than 1%
> of the audience to understand the background.

There is so much confusion in this thread that it's getting funny
:-).

> For this reason, it is better to write a general warning.
>
> It _is_ wrong to assume that a random program compiled for OS
> revision A will run correctly on OS revision B

Yes. I agree completely. My point is not that you _shouldn't_, my
point is that you _didn't_.

That is why I quoted you. Incidentally, you cut off the second part
of that quote, which was really the problematic portion. This first
part is fine.

Lourens
--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key