Re: cdrtools-2.01a22 ready

>From: Andy Polyakov <appro@fy.chalmers.se>

>> > star -tv < /tmp/cdev.tar.bz2
>> > 255 7000 crw-r--r--   1 root/other Jan  5 22:06 2004 cdev
>> >
>> > AS you see, this is a tar archive that includes a character
>> > special with major 255 and minor 7000.

>Postulate. Restoring of device entries from another architecture was
>never guaranteed to provide meaningful results for following reasons:
>- different platform allocate different amount of bits for major and
>minor numbers, e.g. SVR3 specification reserves for 7 and 8 bits
>respectively, SVR4 (e.g. Solaris and IRIX) - for 14/18, HP-UX - for
>8/24, OSF - 12/20;
>- restoring of devices from another platform can have undesirable effect
>(imagine world writable /dev/null from another platform to coincide with
>your system disk) and treated with special consideration or be avoided;

Are you trying to open another unrelated thread or do you like to prove that
you did not understand the current discusion?

Nothing is wrong with calling:

	mknod cdev c 255 7000

on Linux-2.6 and for the same reason, it is completely legal to unpack the
tar archive on Linux-2.6.

How major()/minor() is handled is OS specific and the TAR archive does
not contain any OS specifics.

It does not make any sense to comment the rest of your text as it
is completely unrelated to the problem.

It seems that you just are unable or unwilling to admit that
is is impossible to correctly use an star on Linux-2.6 if it has been compiled
on Linux-2.4.

Being able to use includes for me using all documented features and
e.g. make backups and restores on the system.

If you try to use an star compiled on 2.4 to make backups and restores on 2.6,
then the device nodes may not be restored correctly, that's the problem!

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling