Re: dvd+rw-tools-5.14.4.7.4 / BTC - sequence error

Hi,

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:38:51 +0100
Andy Polyakov <appro@fy.chalmers.se> wrote:

> > > It means every word of it. See first paragraph in Tutorial on
> > > dvd+rw-tools page. A.
[..]
> > But the device
> > wasn't mounted and I didn't try to access the auto-mount-point.
>
> But some other program [such as GUI file system navigator perphaps]
> could keep doing it for you. I mean you've never mentioned any
> background infomation such as what distribution and what graphical
> desktop you run [if any], so we can keep blaiming pretty much
> anything:-)

yep, so the background: no kde, no gnome, my own filemanager (which
can't handle mounts, just files :-)), no distribution - all self
compiled (oops, not 100%, e.g. OpenOffice) ..
no special supermount tools etc.

> > As long as I understand the "autofs" daemon, the device is used
> > when the device is mounted or I try to access the mount-point.
>
> Keep in mind that autofs daemon is not the only culprit. There're
> magicdev, supermount, who knows what else... If anybody can provide
> additional clues, I'll only be grateful:-)

even after shuting down the autofs the error was there.

> > But I had better results, when I recompiled the kernel (2.4.23)
> > with DMA on for CDROM. I didn't change the autofs setup and
> > a DVD+R was burned fine and plays also as expected.
>
> This is odd. I find it hard to believe that it had something [if
> anything] to do with DMA settings...

I also, because at home DMA was running all the time and suddenly
I had the same error there as well!?

> > But now when I try to burn a DVD-R (Verbatim media) it burns
> > and at the end I see the following:
>
> What does "now" mean exactly? Is it like it worked before kernel upgrade
> or is it first time you try DVD-R?

sorry, I don't remember exactly .. it was before christmas :-)

> > [..]
> > 1513848832/1529421824 (99.0%) @2.0x, remaining 0:05
> > 1523122176/1529421824 (99.6%) @2.0x, remaining 0:02
> > /dev/scd0: flushing cache
> > /dev/scd0: updating RMA
> > :-( unable to CLOSE TRACK (2h/30h/05h): No medium found
>
> Any error code with 30 in the middle indicates some kind of media
> incompatibility and low level formatting issues. 2/30/5 in particular
> means "CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT" and was previously
> observed in the beginning of recording... What does it mean at the end
> of recording one can only guess...

Nevermind. Today I tried again at home with DVD-R and a new kernel
(2.4.24) and growisofs 5.16.4.8.5 and it runs.. but please don't
ask me to downgrade to reproduce the error ;-)

Nevertheless without given the speed arguement it reports
a speed of 2x but the media is 1x. According to the current
firmware of the drive the media should be handled.. But as
long as the result is fine I think I can ignore the STDOUT.

My next tests will be at my other setup in the company - also
with the new 2.4 kernel and the new growisofs. Let's see what
happens.

thx + cu
 rasca

--
Welchen Unterschied macht es für die Toten, die Waisen und die Heimatlosen,
ob irrsinnige Vernichtung im Namen der Diktatur oder im heiligen Namen der