Re: HP dvd300e horror story

> > > ... set the book-type to dvd+r spec with
> >
> > ??? Most commonly you want to set it to DVD-ROM, which is actually
> > default factory setting...
> >
> It wasn't clear that I could just growisofs to write data to a DVD+R.
> I'll try this when I get another burner.

dvd+rw-booktype is not even mentioned in growisofs.1 manual page nor in
"burning with growisofs" paragraph on the web-page. Of course it's clear
that it's possible to record DVD+R without it:-)

> > Well, one can only advise to abstain from using dvd+rw-booktype with
> > external units till further notice.
> I will. Maybe there should be more warning to others now?

Yours is the first report of such brutal failure. It might be that
you're the first one to run dvd+rw-booktype against hp dvd300e. As
already mentioned, one most commonly wants to set it to DVD-ROM and as
it's factory default in hp 300 unit, there is a chance that nobody has
actually used it so far. Not with external unit that is, as at least I
has used it multiple times with its IDE counterpart. A.