Re: growisofs / system load / dma setting

> This works, BUT the system load is very high while burning. I'l checked
> DMA setting but DMA is on (and 32 bit).

> hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hdc: irq timeout: error=0xd0LastFailedSense 0x0d
> hdc: DMA disabled
> hdc: ATAPI reset complete

The kernel disables DMA on any drive (hard or optical) when there are
any errors. (Personally I find this a highly sub-optimal strategy for
drives with which DMA has worked successfully since the kernel was
booted, but that's another story.) The above log entry tells you the
kernel has turned DMA off.

I see this with I/O (read) errors, but haven't seen a "busy" yet and
don't know what could cause that.

You can run hdparm while burning or reading from the drive.

> Is this a growisofs problem or a kernel problem?

Definitely a kernel problem with your hardware. Nothing to do with
growisofs. Are you sure your IDE controller, cable, and drive are
fully functional? Put your burner on an IDE cable of its own if you
haven't already, the other drive on the same cable might have something
to do with the "busy".

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.