growisofs: failed to change write speed

Hello list,

when trying to burn a DVD-R, growisofs bails out with the message "failed to
change write speed".

First let me say, that I already "googled" for 3 days, and checked the
list-archive, only to find many postings from people obviously having the
same problem, but unfortunately no working solution for me.

Here my system:
kernel 2.6.8-24.3-smp (SuSE 9.2, updated)
growisofs 5.21, dvd+rw-tools-5.21.4.10.8
Toshiba SD-R5112, Firmware 1033
Mainboard Siemens D1688
P4 3.2 GHz

growisofs comand:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdg=/data/test.iso -use-the-force-luke=notray
-use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=dummy -dvd-compat -speed=4

growisofs
-----------------------
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/data/test.iso of=/dev/hdg obs=32k seek=0'
:-( Failed to change write speed: 2822->5400

dvd+rw-mediainfo:
------------------------
INQUIRY:                [TOSHIBA ][DVD-ROM SD-R5112][1033]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         11h, DVD-R Sequential
 Media ID:              MCC 02RG20
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
 Write Performance:     1.0x1385=1350KB/s@[0 -> 2297887]
 Speed Descriptor#0:    00/2298495 R@1.0x1385=1350KB/s W@3.9x1385=5400KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#10h]:
 Media Book Type:       25h, DVD-R book [revision 5]
 Legacy lead-out at:    2298496*2KB=4707319808
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:       25h, DVD-R book [revision 5]
 Last border-out at:    0*2KB=0
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           blank
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: empty
 Number of Tracks:      1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           invisible incremental
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Next Writable Address: 0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           2297888*2KB
 Track Size:            2297888*2KB
READ CAPACITY:          1*2048=2048

- The same failure occurs with other media.
- If I let growisofs fail on the first try with -speed=4 option and eventually
try a second time without the speed option, as mentioned as some workaround
on Pioneer writers, that doesn´t help. Same failure.
- Same failure if root
- Same failure if hotplugging is disabled
- Same failure occured with kernel 2.4.27 (SuSE)
- growisofs seems to use always the velocity listed under GET [CURRENT]
PERFORMANCE:
 Write Performance:
- No Firmware Problem. I tested the Tosh unit in another PC (Win2k, Nero 6).
Here all is ok, all tested media are burned 4x
- I also downloaded, compiled and tried philipspeed.cpp sniplet, doesn`t help
either.

Now, I don`t know what todo further and kindly request your knowledgable
assistance. Please help me getting my Tosh working correctly under Linux...

p.s.
Please excuse the long post, but I tried to give all necessary information u
might need.

tom
--
Serrada Escrima Backyard Gym