Re: Re: dvd rw-tools question

> However, when I do
>    $ growisofs -Z /dev/scd0 -speed=8 -R -J treename
> it takes the whole 44 minutes. The reported average speed is about 0.8x,
> and the hard disk LED is not lit 1/3 to half the time. It seems like
> image-making and burning are taking turns.
> [...] I am using ide-scsi access for the burner.

Besides Volker's idea about DMA i got a another suspicion :

Is your burner at the same IDE controller as your source disk ?
Is that fast other disk possibly at a different IDE controller ?

Yes, the burner is on a different IDE controller than the data disk.

I once experienced similar effects with a CD-Burner at hdb while its source disk was hda. Another effect was that hda
stalled while hdb was blanking or fixating CDs.

I swapped the burner with the second disk hdc and performance became
acceptable (12x CD speed).

My burner is /dev/hdc (hdc=ide-scsi), and the data disk is /dev/hdb.

After i then enabled DMA by hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc (despite ide-scsi)
even my screen cursor moved smoothely while burning CDs. :))

I cannot do that for some reason:
  # hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

  /dev/hdc:
   setting using_dma to 1 (on)
   HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
   using_dma    =  0 (off)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://ebner.neuroscience.umn.edu/people/alex.html
Dept. of Neuroscience, Lions Research Building