dvd+rw-tools question

Hi,

I have a growisofs performance question. When I do
   $ mksifos -R -J treename > /dev/null
it takes 21 minutes for some 3G of data (7 large and 7 small files). Same
when I redirect to some junk.iso file on a hard disk other than the one
holding the data. In both cases hard disk LED is lit all the time.

However, when I do
   $ growisofs -Z /dev/scd0 -speed=8 -R -J treename
it takes the whole 44 minutes. The reported average speed is about 0.8x,
and the hard disk LED is not lit 1/3 to half the time. It seems like
image-making and burning are taking turns.

Is this the way it is supposed to be? What are my options for getting
faster burn time given the hardware? Can this be a piping limitation?

The drive is 16x, and the media is +R 8x, as correctly determined by the
dvd+rw-mediainfo. I am running testing (dvd+rw-tools 5.21.4.10.8-1
and mkisofs 4:2.0+a34-2). The kernel is 2.6.6 and I am using ide-scsi
access for the burner.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://ebner.neuroscience.umn.edu/people/alex.html
Dept. of Neuroscience, Lions Research Building