Re: Strange behaviour of growisofs -Z option

> growisofs -Z $DEV -R -J $FILE_TO_BURN
> Now, if I run this script on a newly formatted (in "restricted" mode)
> support, everything is fine.
> But if I run this script again, on the same support, freshly burned,
> 1- I get a lot of mkisofs errors complaining about too long file names
> ("Joliet tree sort failed. The -joliet-long switch may help you") ;
> 2- growisofs aborts in a strange manner : I get :
>     :-( write failed: Input/output error
>     severe_error: command not found
> - why mkisofs is concerned by the "-Z" option ? I thought "-Z" means
> "destroy previous datas, write new". It looks like mkisofs tries to expand
> my .gz, then the files and folders inside the tar's, ending with the error
> shown above ;

Did you already try option  -use-the-force-luke  ?
See  growisofs.c (5.19-1):
  "* - undocumented -use-the-force-luke flag to overwrite the media"

I got no experience with growisofs calling mkisofs but use a pipe
like this :

   mkisofs -R -J $FILE_TO_BURN | \
   growisofs -use-the-force-luke -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=/proc/self/fd/0

> on console and my script continues because RETVAL is still at 0...
>
> Questions :
> - what's about growisofs and error management ?

At least with the usual mistakes (no DVD, CD-RW rather than DVD)
it works fine for me (both cases return 252).
If you put mkisofs into a wrapper script and watch its return value
then you will also note the broken pipe (mkisofs returns 141 then).