Strange behaviour of growisofs -Z option

Hi all !

I use a script for backups, on a noname dvd burner (mediainfo give :
INQUIRY:                [DVDRW   ][IDE1008         ][0052]
 Media ID:              OPTODISCW002 )
dvd+rw-tools version is 5.20, machine is debian-based 2.6.9 kernel.

My script looks like that (part of) :
DEV=/dev/hdc
FILE_TO_BURN=a big file compressed with gzip, created by tar on lot of files
and folders
function burn_dvd(){
RETVAL=0
growisofs -Z $DEV -R -J $FILE_TO_BURN
if [$? != 0 ]
then
    severe_error
    RETVAL=1
fi
}
"severe_error" is my error handling routine, coming from another script
which is "sourced" by the burning script.

Okay.
Now, if I run this script on a newly formatted (in "restricted" mode)
support, everything is fine.
But if I run this script again, on the same support, freshly burned,
1- I get a lot of mkisofs errors complaining about too long file names
("Joliet tree sort failed. The -joliet-long switch may help you") ;
2- growisofs aborts in a strange manner : I get :
    :-( write failed: Input/output error
    severe_error: command not found
on console and my script continues because RETVAL is still at 0...

Questions :
- why mkisofs is concerned by the "-Z" option ? I thought "-Z" means
"destroy previous datas, write new". It looks like mkisofs tries to expand
my .gz, then the files and folders inside the tar's, ending with the error
shown above ;
- what's about growisofs and error management ?

The *only* trick I have found is to always force a full format (one
hour...), then a format on restricted mode, then burn...

And, if errors during burning process, I *really* don't know what will
happen and how (and where) growisofs will end... :-(

(I'm sorry but I haven't C skills to debug that...)

Thanks a lot in advance for your ideas,
Best regards,
Jean-Pierre Turchi
"From South of France"