Re: Slow burning speed: 8x (should be 24x)

David Fokkema wrote:

Hi group,

Using either cdrecord or cdrdao under 2.4.27 or 2.6.8 will not achieve
burning speeds of 24x (as promised). The specs say my drive (Toshiba
SD-R2312) can burn 24x, the -prcap option says it can burn 24x, cdrecord
says it will burn 24x, but the achieved speed is about 8.2x and it
varies a bit. I tried the driveropts=forcespeed option, but that doesn't
work. DMA is being used (almost no CPU load) and the medium is supposed
to be able to handle 52x. Any idea what can be wrong with my drive
and/or cdrecord? BTW: the drive is brand new, just replaced another
(broken) drive which also couldn't burn at speeds higher dan 8x, but was
another brand and model and was supposed to be able to burn 24x as well.
Something with linux/cdrecord/my computer?
I assume this is a full CD burn? Burners start at a much slower speed on the inside tracks, otherwise they would have to spin the media faster to get the transfer rate up. And somewhere over 52x is the point where most CD substrate becomes shrapnel. So if you are measuring with just a small image burn, it will be slow, nothing wrong.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc