Large Files and growisofs

I am using version 5.20 of growisofs, version 2.01a34 of mkisofs, linux 2.4.26.

My DVD player is Toshiba SD-R5112 rev 1f31.

I am trying to write a single large tar file (3739664 blocks of 1024 bytes) to a DVD.  The command that I used was:

growisofs -v -r -T -J -U -V "TEST" -Z /dev/sr0 . (executed in the same directory as the file).

No errors or warnings from growisofs. I can mount the DVD without any issues.  However:
-when I do an ls, it only shows 462 1KB blocks in the tar file and indicates a bad DVD
-when I try a tar ztf file.tar.gz I get a "tar: inflate error 1" after a partial listing.

I doubt that it is a media issue, since it failed exactly the same way on 3 DVD-Rs (anyone need some coasters?).

I looked at the makefile for mkisofs and saw that it was compiled with the large files option.  I did not see any large file options in the makefile for growisofs.  Could this be the source of the problem?

Thanks
Tony Gaddis

Do you Yahoo!?